Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Worried that welfare costs are rising as the number of taxpayers declines, state Rep. John LaBruzzo, R-Metairie, said Tuesday he is studying a plan to pay poor women $1,000 to have their Fallopian tubes tied."

It's shocking when people say these sorts of things out loud.

But, in my business...I've seen plenty of people who have no business having children.
I would be lying to you if I told you that it didn't cross my mind while dealing with that mother who has never spoken to me without dilated pupils, or that mentally ill mother who is dragging her child through life with her, or that mother who puts your number on call privacy because she doesn't want to come and pick up her sick child, or the mother who calls and threatens you because she suspects you called Children's Aid because her child hasn't been bathed, or changed her clothes in two weeks, and has big bruises on her back, or the mother who...you get the picture.

...and while it doesn't have anything to do with being poor, none of the women mentioned above was working their way through school, or gainfully employed.

I'm not saying he's right.
I'm just saying it's crossed my mind when I see women who have no business being parents having multiple children.

That's right.
I said it.

While it's not popular with a lot of people who have a romanticized image or belief in human nature...Judges have been doing it.