Saturday, August 30, 2008



In another life, I worked at a restaurant called Cafe on the Park on Eglinton. It was a small cafe that featured up and coming artists. From Comedians like Jim Carrey to Mike McDonald (the Comedian), to performers like David Wilcox and Long John Baldry.

Wilcox always played acoustic when when he was there because there was no room for a band in the tiny place.

Long John Baldry's heyday was long over when he played the Cafe.

I didn't know who he was at the time...being an 18 year old waitress, I just knew he had to have been pretty big in his time...since the owner Ron treated him like a Prima Donna.

I was given a tray with a glass, a pitcher of orange juice, and a bottle of Silent Sam and told to take it up to the apartment above the cafe to Long John about an hour before he was supposed to go on.

When he opened the door, he was dressed head to toe in a green leotard...he looked like a seven foot Peter Pan.
He didn't talk to me...just pointed to a side table and told me to get out.

The end.