Thursday, October 30, 2008

I found this video over at Mental_floss...



...and it made me think of a couple of things.

I'm not a Halloween person, or even a big holiday person in general, but it made me think of how for some people like Jen Singer Halloween can be a pain in the ass.

Expensive, and not just in the candy way...because, well...people can be turds.

And it also reminded me of a time when I worked in a school in a very hoity toity neighbourhood. I remember those parents complaining about people from neighbourhoods that weren't so well to do, taking their kids into their neighbourhood to trick or treat.

Believe me when I tell you that these people didn't have a cash flow problem, and didn't even have to stand at the door for that matter. They had Filipino nannies to slave that for them.

They would complain to me, and I would inwardly roll my eyes, because I think it had less to do with how expensive it was, than it had to do with not wanting "those" people coming through their neighbourhood. So, when one of the veteran teachers told one of "those" parents, "Oh, big deal...so you have to give some poor kids candy for one night out of the year, boo hoo", I had to stifle a guffaw.