Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Forgive me...

Recently, my mind has been somewhere else...so my posts have been few.
I have just a couple of things to touch on this morning before I venture out into the world.

This discussion over at The Globe on the death of the teenager:

"Dr. Epstein's book – The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen – challenges this drive to postpone the rights and obligations of adulthood. He suggests that we have lost track of what it means to be an adult – and underestimate just want it takes to become one.

Why is the former editor of Psychology Today making such extreme claims? In a series of in-depth discussions about his work, Dr. Epstein concedes that teens appear to need reining in – more money is spent on psychoactive drugs for young people in the U.S., he says, than all other prescription medicines combined.

But these troubled teens are Frankensteins of our own making, he insists. There is a correlation between the myriad regulations and restrictions that adolescents face (surveys show they are subjected to twice as many limitations as incarcerated prisoners in the United States) and problem behaviour."


Read the original article here and the discussion here.

Frankly, the discussion makes me tired.
Death of "The Teenager"?
Are you kidding me? What I'm observing in my day to day living is the death of the adult.
Anyone who has conducted job interviews has noticed what kind of "adult" is entering the workforce. Self-revolved, demanding, over-indulged and under-willing.
People living at home with their parents well into their 30's..no my darlings, there is no "death of the teenager".
It's the death of the adult.

...and then this article on the death and will of Leona Helmsley.
She left her dog 12 million, and cut two of her grandchildren out of her will for reasons that "they are well aware of".
I am consistently surprised by people who leave pets gigantic amounts of money.
I just don't get it....but then, I also don't get doggie weddings, doggie birthday parties, or any of those kinds of things.
I dunno, perhaps her 12 million would have gone further with a charity...silly me for thinking that.