Friday, August 17, 2007

Staying for Lunch?

"This week the descendants of cannibals in Papua New Guinea issued an apology to the Methodist Church for killing and eating four of its missionaries.

The group of four had arrived in PNG in 1875 to spread Christianity... but it seems the locals misunderstood the purpose of the delegation. On a brief visit to some Tolai tribes people on the Gazelle Peninsula in 1878, the four found themselves on the menu of their own reception feast."


Read the whole thing here
.


Why did I find that funny?

I guess with the whole reparations thing, and official apologies for all kinds of horrors over the ages flying hither and thither, I find this apology over 4 missionaries over a hundred years ago humourous.

Sorry...but, considering what missionaries brought with them wherever they went, eating four of them doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

So sue me.