Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm officially a crusty, irascible, cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas.

My Uja said that it would happen, but I never believed him.

I've been listening to this debate and argument about tuition fees and students freaking out because the cap has been lifted and tuition fees will be going up this year.
I've been hearing that students can barely survive as it is, and it's virtually impossible to pay for tuition, school fees and books...and so on.

I'm not sure about that.
The students that I have contact with are sportin' iPods and laptops, and most of them are having their tuitions paid by their parents while they live at home with them.
Boo fucking Hoo if they have to get a part-time job and study too.

I had to go to school at night, work a full time AND part-time job, AND pay rent and bills. It took me twice as long to get an education as it should have, and I respected my time and classes.
It mattered to me if I failed because I was paying for it.

Some of the students I've met party hard, and know that if they fail, mummy and daddy will fork over the cash for them to do the classes over again.
Or other students who can afford to waffle back and forth from program to program...I want to be a Doctor....NO....I want to be an Engineer...NO...flipping back and forth while they drain their parents bank account and end up staying home until they're 40.

We're raising soft-centered pussies who are whining because they have study AND work part-time.

Boo Fucking Hoo.