Thursday, April 24, 2008

On having a "black" name:

"My blog name is my grandmother's name, Daisy. My real name is one that would identify me very easily, so I don't use it. But I recently realized that something is missing in my online identity. While reading about The Carnival of Allies (proposed by The Angry Black Woman), I noted that I have never had to pointedly present myself as an ally to black people (not every minority; I specifically refer to black people) because they have usually assumed that I am.

They assume so, I figure, because I have a black name."


It's a really interesting blog post, with some very good examples of incidents of a racist nature that she's had to deal with.

...and then MetaFilter picked it up...and I have to say that some of the comments made me laugh.
What kills me is that some white people still seem shocked that others have reacted in racist ways. I dunno...it's almost as though they're denying that this sort of "in your face" racism still exists.

I find that sad, and peculiar at the same time.