Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Can't Complain

I've had quite the day, dear readers.
My Mama had a mild stroke this morning, and through the help of some incredible EMS workers and medical staff at St Mike's, she's totally ok.

I'm not going to bore you with the whole ordeal..I don't have the strength.
But, I will tell you that everyone involved responded quickly, thoroughly and with compassion that makes me vaklempt.

One of the EMS guys who brought Mama to the hospital told me to meet them at the emerg, and when I finally found parking and made it to the emerg, he was waiting for me outside. He told me what was going to happen, what they were going to do, what his experience has been in these situations, and what I should do.

He calmed me down.

Mama received the injection, and by 3pm her speech was normal, and her motor skills were back.
So normal, that she told the woman who was whining about being hungry in the next bed to "SHADDAP!"

Around 4pm, the EMS guy came back to check on her!
He sat with her and gave her a little lecture on accepting medical help.
He told her that even if she was only feeling 99% ok, and 1% sick to accept the help...that they don't mind. He felt better to know that she averted a major stroke because she let them help her.

God bless you, Gary the EMS guy.

People can bitch and howl about our healthcare system...but what I saw today was compassionate and stellar.

I have renewed respect for the medical profession, from the EMS to Doctors...to St Mike's.

Thank you.