Saturday, April 01, 2006

"Love shouldn't be so melancholy...come along and share the good times while you can...I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden..."


Along the highways and byways, you can still see the old motels from the 1950's and 1960's. This one is in Niagara Falls, NY.
The Mister and I were on a road trip yesterday to Rochester, NY to pick up some techy piece of mystery something that The Mister procured online.
On the way back I made him stop so that I could get a shot of this old motel. It won't be long before they'll be a thing of the past, seen only in old photos in retro shops, and movies. For some reason, I have a real soft spot for this era. Maybe because the pictures of my parents are all from that time and I wove a kind of story about what life was like back then, using those pictures and the movies I watched as a kid.
It's funny the things that can make you melancholy.

I was really sad when they tore down the old motels by the Lakeshore to build those richy condos, and it seemed that even the construction workers knew that they were tearing down history.
One of the Lakeside Hotels clocks, done in the Googie style, stood until the very last minute, it seemed.
It stood, leaning a little to the left toward Lakeshore Blvd until the final landscaping was started.

It stood like The Little House in Virgina Lee Burtons children's story.
Remember that story?
About the little country house that was dwarfed by the building of a city around it?

Anyhow, I've gone off on a little tangent there...but one thing that I really wish, is that Toronto wasn't so in love with destroying it's architectural history.

I guess, that's what I'm really on about.