Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday Click Around

I love vintage photos, and Vintage Images has some nice ones from the early part of the 1900's. The one of Mata Hari is pretty racy, huh?
Here's another one from art-e-zine. It starts with some wedding photos and moves on to family photos.
I can never get enough of looking at vintage photos of strangers.
I look at the photo, and build a story in my head around the people in the picture using little things in the background as clues, the way the subjects are dressed, their ages, what their connections may be based on how they look together...I can map out a whole life and history in my head.

Can we agree that hair in the 1960's and early 1970's was high-maintenance and hideous?
Vintage Wedding Looks shows us what kickstarted the hippie movement or maybe even the women's movement! Let's face it, if I had to do that shit to myself, I'd revolt too!


Redirecting... is a cute little animated battle within a Word document. Very clever.

I'm not sure why I have a fascination with creepy old insane asylums..but I do.
Dark Passage focuses on abandoned hospitals. Creepy, but also interesting. I can't explain it...the photos just seem to scream "If these walls could talk"...

Hours of Darkness hosts photographs of modern ruins.

Did you know that there is an impending shortage of Sword Swallowers?
There are less than 50 left in the WHOLE world!
I KNOW!
This generation just can't appreciate the importance of swallowing a 12" dagger, or set of 11+ swords for the entertainment of the circus crowd.
Frankly, I'm surprised that people still go to the circus.
I'm not talking about the Cirque du Soleil Circus. I mean the three ring, Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey like circus where the clowns are innocently creepy, and they ride animals around.
I haven't seen any of the Cirque productions, so I can't say how they compare to the traditional circus, but the snippets I've seen show a darker more adult oriented circus.
I remember wanting to go to the circus when I was a kid, but my mother would never take me.
I ended up going with a grade one class I was assisting in when I was still in school.
I remember being disgusted. I didn't like the circus at all. I felt sorry for the animals, and I couldn't understand why anyone would want to take their children to this spectacle of creepiness. I haven't been to the circus since.

This Prejudice gif shows you the stereotypical assumptions made about the people of certain countries. I see that Yugoslavs/Serbs/Croats/Bosnians don't exist on this map. Not enough known about them by the rest of the world to make assumptions I suppose.

Things you didn't know about your body is an interesting little blurb on men's health.
With the opening advice:

Guzzle -- don't sip -- water: Downing big gulps cues your body to get it into the system faster.
I thought it was a joke site, but as I continued to read, I realized that there was some interesting advice there.

That's all folks...