Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Devil Wears Daisy Dukes, and Clear Heels.

I went on one of those obsessive searches that led me from Nat King Cole to Lady Saw.
Don't ask me how, because I can't remember the trail.
But, where I ended got me to thinking about a few things that I'd like to share with you, dear reader.

Over the past decade or so, I've been watching and listening to music lyrics decline. It's rare now to hear an actual love song. There are songs that have a good sound, and groove, and then I'll tune into the lyrics and cringe.
Sex is no longer an intimate and loving thing that is alluded to in a song, but has been downgraded to bumpin' in a dirty club bathroom behind your girlfriends back.

For example, this lovely sounding song by Timbaland & Magoo starts out nicely but inevitably ends up with: "Go slow & ill direct ur every move like a young benny boom afta beatin up your womb No need 2 put on perfume baby girl u leavin soon(kabhi mere paso jele aaja)Nobody gotta no ur thong waz maroon(teri hoo na) U no afta creepin out my room" (and apparently, there's no longer a need for correct spelling when you post the lyrics, either).

I felt the same about Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me".
Such a nice groove, with such a shitty message.
Anyhow, with all this talk about disrespecting women in rap and reggae, video after video of rappers sucking back Cristal from the bottle, with cigars hanging out of their mouthes while slapping women on the ass, rapping about bitches and 'ho's.... there are women who are also cashing in.

Lady Saw is one.

So, while I'm torn about having the right to do what you like, and being a trailblazer in areas that are generally dominated by men, I'm really not with the whole playing into the degradation of women as a whole thing.
Lady Saw, was dubbed "the first Lady of Dancehall"...however, I think "Lady" would be stretching it.

Wiki says: "Recording for the local Diamond label, she injected a heavy dose of sexually explicit lyrics, known as "slackness", into the music, but from her perspective as a female"...and "she suffered for her outspoken ways; she was banned from many events due to her lyrics. Even though male artists were performing similar lyrics and stage shows, it was Lady Saw that became a pariah for it and endured censorship and even outright banning in more than a few Jamaican parishes".

Now, for her to be banned "in more than a few Jamaican parishes", even The Mister agrees that she must be pretty "slack".

So of course, I looked her up and found her video "I've Got Your Man", and liked the tune but, again, the lyrics glorify female power, over...other women, because of a man.
Shitty message...like she's won some sort of prize instead of obtaining a cheating prick...anyway, on with the show.
How "slack" does Lady Saw get?
This...and ... this slack.

This my friends, is a sad direction for ladies to go.

That's all.