Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Families with gang links get kicked out of subsidized housing.

What do you think about that?

"Steve Floros, the corporation's director of property management. denied there's a new edict that a gang-affiliated family must go. "There's no new protocol, it's covered under the Tenant Protection Act, it's something that all landlords can refer to if there's an illegal act on or about the residential premises".

Recently, I read that the province is now confiscating homes that were used in grow ops.
If that can be done, why can't this?
I mean, if I own a house and let my brother live in it, and he has a grow op in it, and he gets caught...they take my house.
Do they care if I didn't know about it?
That's my problem.

I don't have a problem with this.
What I have a problem with is the fairness of the tribunal.
Can a bitter neighbour report something that isn't true and have you up in front of the tribunal?
Or are these cases based on proven or convicted criminal activity by someone living on the premises.
It doesn't sound like it from the article...but then, it's The Star that's reporting, and they've got a soft spot for "exposing" the unfairness of society...even if they have to exaggerate, and sensationalize it a little.
So, I'm not convinced that it's being done in such a cavalier way.

I'm not sure...but it's happening.
If our taxes are subsidizing these units, and people are living in them that are terrorizing others with their gang activities and violence...then it's up to the government to do something about it on our behalf.

I'm just not sure about how competent, or effective they can be.