Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Musical Snapshots



On my way home tonight, I was listening to "Strawberry Letter 23" by The Brothers Johnson. There are certain songs that I don't hear often enough to erase a memory, so when I hear certain songs, a little black and white film reel plays in my head.

I'd like to ask you to pick a song or two, and tell me your memory in my comments section.

I'll give you five of mine:

Stawberry Letter 23 - The Brothers Johnson
I'm sitting in a diner booth at Jane and Baby Point with my first boyfriend, after walking for a long time in the January cold. He put a quarter in the jukebox and chose three songs, but that song is the one that is stuck in my memory for that night. That night when I was out past my curfew, and in trouble...but I didn't care.

King of the Road - Roger Miller
My father standing in the living room of our Tyndall Avenue apartment in his shorts and a t-shirt. Handsome, and young smelling of Aqua Velva and Vitalis.
A cigarette in one hand, while rolling a piece of the foil from the pack between his palms. A nervous habit he had.

Daniel - Elton John
Driving up north to my Uja's cottage in Pefferlaw, long before my cousins were born. Sitting in the big blue meteor, and sweating. Sticking to the seats with nothing to do but listen to the radio and my Uja and Tetka Ljuba talking. The windows open, and feeling like we'd never get there.

Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
In my grade 5 class on a Friday afternoon, when Mr Edison, one of the many teacher transplants from New Zealand at Parkdale P.S. used to let us play records and dance for the last hour of school.

Yellow Bird - ?
My teacher Mr. Leadbetter (another New Zealand transplant) used to pull out his guitar and sing this song, along with many others in my grade 6 class. He'd sit on a desk, and play and sing. I was in love with him. He was so very kind to me, always patient and encouraging. It's Mr. Leadbetter that gave me the gift of the love of books and reading.
Thank you, wherever you are.

Now you.