Friday, March 09, 2007




Listen, I'm all for cycling. If you can get around the city without having to pay for a license, tags, parking, insurance and a car...great!
More power to you.
What I have a problem with is a surly cyclist who thinks that they don't have to follow the rules of the road.
You know, the ones who weave in and out of traffic, go through red lights, and stop signs just because they don't see cars coming, and don't stick to the side of the road but ride dangerously close to moving vehicles, and sometimes in the middle of the road.

Now, I realize that in the downtown core there is a sub-culture of environmentally dedicated anti-carists, who are indulged by our money wasting office interior decorator of a Mayor, whose answer to traffic congestion is to make it harder to drive downtown.

He does this by proposing to increase bike lanes, suggesting downtown closures and tolls, taking down the expressway, and making sure that the downtown airport has as hard a time as possible accommodating business people who use it so they don't have to drive the 25km to Pearson Airport from downtown for short flights to Montreal, NYC, Thunder Bay and wherehaveyou.

Our Mayor passes his time with these things rather than focusing on building more roads, or amalagamating transit systems so that it doesn't cost commuters the equivalent of a tank of gas a day to get into the city by public transit.

But, I digress...

Back to cyclists.

I'm consistently amazed by how many are willing to take their lives into their hands by not obeying the rules of the road, and not only that...but with a total attitude as well...as though their own personal safety is not primarily their own responsibility.

Last year I read about a motorist who threw food out of his window. The courier, disliking littering, picks up food and throws food back in car. Motorist dumps coffee on courier. Courier scratches car with key. Road rage ensues.

The driver got out to give her a proper ass whuppin'.
I must say, that I would never throw anything out of my car, and he's an asshole, but she had equally no right to throw the food back into his car and damage it. In my opinion, she provoked the driver.
What's wrong with just calling him a jackass?

Out in public, you really don't know if you're provoking a Tony Soprano wannabe, or a lunatic.

I'll say right here and now, though... if anyone scratched my car...I believe I'd get out to put a Nine West heel up her ass too.