Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Secret Life of Germs

It seems that we've become so over-saturated with information, and news that the media is constantly scrambling to find something fresh to shock and scare us with.

The other day, I was watching some stupidness on TV in the waiting room of my dealership while my car was being serviced.
I heard a "special report" on the dangers of frozen vegetables. Apparently, perforations in the bags can allow for bacteria and E-Coli to enter...and this can KILL our children.

This morning while getting ready for work, I found out that dust mites have invaded my mattress as well as my pillows, and that washing my pillows weekly is NOT ENOUGH!!!

I have to throw them out after two years.
There's just no saving them.

Now, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to germs...keep in mind that this is coming from someone who cooks with vinyl gloves on...

...but come on!

Is there no end to scaring the shit out of people for no good reason?
Death lurks at the gym....while eating and handling eggs...as well as navigating a bunch of urban legends and myths ....we even have scary warnings about the scary warnings...

Maybe the real problem is that all this paranoia is weakening our immune systems.