Saturday, June 30, 2007

Getting the Finger in Tangier 

Ok, so it was exciting to go to Tangiers.
The mere idea that we were on the African Continent was enough to excite us, and while I'm glad we went...I certainly have mixed feelings about our visit.

The relentless haranguing by the beggars and street vendors made me feel like we were in some bizarre cultural video game.
The Mister had one little boy following him, tugging on his shirt and looking at him like puss in boots from Shrek.
I could have adopted him on the spot.
We eventually gave him a Euro to go away, but he was just replaced by another within seconds.

It really did feel like an attack by street vendors...and they were unappeasable. One tried to sell The Mister hash...which, if you knew The Mister is absolutely hilarious.

No matter where you looked, there was a photograph waiting to be taken. The history of the place is felt in your bones...and so was the contempt for tourists, and I suppose it should be expected. Walking through Tangiers was like walking out of a time machine and into the 9th century.

In fairness, we were part of a tour...and there certainly was no possible way to "blend in"...hell, even without the tour.

We were taken to a restaurant for tourists, and I must say that for a germaphobe...a dirty fingernailed thumb in your soup bowl as your waiter places it in front of you is shiver inducing.
I took out my hand sanitizer before lunch and it made the rounds of the table before I got it back. I was seated next to a Brazilian lady whom I couldn't verbally communicate with since my Portuguese was as non-existent as her English, but every so often she would turn to me, lower her head and look at me with an expression that needed no translation.
I had to take a picture with her...she was killing me.

My friend Piika had to stop me from walking into a Mosque...me, my plunging neckline, and what felt like my giant crucifix.

At one point I was taking a photograph of one of the small alley like streets as a woman was walking toward me...she saw my camera and immediately turned around and started walking backwards. I can only imagine how the people there feel about being perceived by outsiders as walking artifacts.

One thing I can say...I saw enough ass and nose picking to last a lifetime.

Is that harsh?
It's a dirty place.
The upside?
The immune system of the population of Tangiers must be incredible.

It sounds terrible, what I say here...but I don't mean it to be.
It's my observation.
Observation from a spoiled Canadian, who is used to a different kind of place.

What can I say?
It's an incredibly amazing place in it's own way.
Everyone should have the experience.