Tuesday, November 20, 2007

There is Hope...

So, my lazy self was picking up a Shwarama for dinner tonight.

I went into this new little place, and ordered from the very young man behind the counter. While he was making it, we were chatting.

Then, he asked, "Where are you from?"
"Toronto", says I.
"No," says the boy "What's your heritage?"
"Yugoslavian" came out...sorry...that's where I was born.
"Oh," says the boy. "You're Serbian. Great soccer team".
"How did you know I was Serbian?"
"Only Serbians say they're 'Yugoslavian'".

OMG!
I was vaklempt.
A young (he's 22) person who pays attention to world politics and cultural geography.

"What do you think I am?" he asks.
I look at him for a few seconds before I reply.
"Greek"

He pushed a little piece of baklava across the counter and smiled.