Friday, July 25, 2008

Question of the Day



I don't think that racism is exclusive to Black, Asian or South Asian people.
I think that racism most certainly crosses colour lines and moves into xenophobia.

When I started school here in Canada, there weren't very many people of non-British/Scottish/Irish descent.
I was one of them.
My first teacher here in Canada changed my first name completely to an Anglicized name that is nothing even remotely close to my actual name...no need to ask my parents whether it was OK to do that either.

Frankly, my parents were of the old, post war immigrant ilk...you know the ones...the ones who were just grateful to be here, and were always afraid that if they made too much noise or trouble they'd be sent back...so, they wouldn't have put up a fight anyway...and in fact didn't.
They embraced my new name because it was "Canadian"...and I despised it.

I hated it so much, that even now, when I hear the name uttered for someone else, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.


Tell me...what was your first realization of racism or discrimination?