Monday, February 19, 2007



This fabulous picture of The Sunnyside Pavillion on the Lakeshore in Toronto is from Ground Glass. What made me post it is that last night The Mister and me watched Hollywoodland.
During the scene where George Reeves (Ben Affleck) meets Toni Mannix (Diane Lane) I turned to The Mister and said, "That's Sunnyside". Then I remembered the filming that seems to be always going on in the summer in and around Sunnyside. But it was the lights in the Pavillion in the film that made me sure of it, because I remember driving by one summer evening and seeing it just so.
It took me a minute to figure out what the storyline was since I just put the disc in and hadn't really heard about the movie. The Mister brought it home on a whim.

That it's based on the death of real life George Reeves, the TV Superman of the 1950's.
The sad real life ending for all participants in the love triangle, Reeves,(gunshot to the head, duh.) Mannix (Alzheimer's) and Lemmon (alcoholic dementia, and dead in her apartment for 5 days before she was found).

I didn't love the movie, but it was worth watching just for the era, costumes and hair...frankly...I thought if I had to watch Ben walk up those stairs one more time to re-enact another version of the death, I might have had to shoot myself.

But, at the same time it's interesting to watch the lives of the rich, and famous and know that they're not exempt from tragedy...in fact even that might be on a grander scale.