Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I Want to Work for the Government

I did a change of address on my Drivers License on August 31st.

It's now October 3rd and I'm wondering about my Driver's License.
So, I looked up numbers on the Ministry of Transportation website, and started calling the numbers that might get me the information I'm looking for....was my new license processed?

After navigating through the labyrinth of call prompts and referral numbers, I finally get through to a real live government employee.
An employee whose job would appear to be to field and answer inquiries from the public.
I made that assumption because the call prompt informed me that the operator that would come on the line would assist me.

This is how the conversation went:

Me: "Hi, I did a change of address on August 31st and I'm wondering if my license has been processed."

Government Bitch: "It's only the 5 week mark"

M: "Ok. How long does it generally take?"

GB: (Exasperated tone) "At least 6 weeks...I mean, if you haven't got it within 8 weeks, then go back to the office that you applied at, right?"

Me: "So, you can't tell me if it's been processed?"

GB: (audible frustrated *sigh*) "No. I can't do that. I can see when you went into the office, but I can't tell you if it's been processed."

M: (Slightly sarcastic and tart) "Forgive me, but I don't work for the Ministry, so I wouldn't know timelines and what normal wait times are, or what information you do or don't have access to. That's why I'm calling."

GB: (terse) "Well, I can't get the information you're looking for. Just wait the eight weeks and if you don't get it by then, then go back into the office you did the change at. Ok?"

M: (Laughing) "Ok"...and I hang up.

Is there any organization or business other than government where you would be allowed to speak to clients this way?

I don't think so.

I want to work for the government so that I can speak to people any fucking way I want to.