Friday, April 20, 2007

Daddy Dearest

I've been reading about Alec Baldwin's divorced dad trouble here, here, and here.

I just find it so very sad.
I'm not supposing that I know what their situation is. I know that it was quite bitter when they divorced, and I know that they have a daughter.

It's a terrible thing to have to be connected to someone you no longer love, or worse yet, someone you despise through a child.

And worse for the child who has to know that they're the flesh and blood of two people who detest each other, and are willing to go to great lengths to hurt each other.

I haven't heard the voicemail recording of what Baldwin said to his daughter, but I know that in anger my mother has said similar things to me, and my father much, much worse.
I'm not saying that it's right.
I'm not saying that Baldwin shouldn't be sorry for what he said to his child.

What I do know is that it's hard to be a single parent, and it's hard to be a weekend parent.
In one of the videos, Baldwin says that he tries not to be a "Disneyland Dad"
...but how do you do that when your child is only with you a couple of days a week?
How do you not treat them like a visiting relative that you need to show a good time?
In a bitter custody situation, how do you not on occasion feel like just a giant wallet, that isn't included in many important decisions regarding the child you support?
How do you not feel disconnected and used, at times?

I dunno.
The comment he made to his daughter doesn't seem newsworthy to me.
I'll bet cash money that most parents have slipped in frustration and told their kids things that they regret...no one gets out of childhood unscathed.

It could be worse for little Ireland.
Much, much worse.