Sunday, April 22, 2007

-Sunday Click Around-
The Documentary Edition


Recently, I've been on a documentary kick.
It started with Anna of Field of Blackbirds sending me Following Sean, which kind of reminded me of the UP Series, but it chronicles the life of the filmmaker, and the subject (Sean) as well as America's shift in political thinking.
How things come full circle sometimes, and how life is what it is, and we have no choice but to accept it. I wanted to include some clips, but it's been doing the rounds with the people at work, and I won't see it again until next weekend.

I then watched a documentary called "Can't Stop Eating" about Prader-Willi Syndrome which is a disorder that makes the sufferer continuously eat. Because a neurological short they never feel satiated. They can eat themselves to death. The documentary is sad, and fascinating. I've found the full documentary, so you don't have to search YouTube for the parts.

After watching that, I watched "Thin" which is in 11 parts that are easily found on YouTube.
It's a docmentary on anorexia and bulemia. The obsession these women have with food made me want to eat. I ate for them almost through the entire documentary. The women in this doc. were interesting, and I learned that for these women, this disorder was less about body image than it was about not being able to cope with relationships, honesty (both with themselves and with others) and had more to do with secrets, and manipulations, and anger than anything else. 

Ghosts of the Underground is about ghost sightings on the London Tube. It's pretty creepy.

CBC Sunday News did a segment called "Inside Iran's Secret Gay World".  
I've posted part 1 of 3. You can follow the rest on YouTube. I can't imagine what it's like in other countries, we're so used to what it's like here. And while we perceive discrimination, it's nothing like it is in other places.

Pretty Dayana looks at Gypsy refugees in a Belgrade suburb who make a living by transfoming Citroen's classic 2cv and Dyana cars into Mad Max-like vehicles.  The car batteries are even used as power generators in order to get some light, watch tv and recharge cell phones. Necessity continues to be the mother of invention.

While we're in Belgrade, here's a documentary on Tito.

Rajaraja the Great. The great hindu king and the historical Temples that he built. Prepare to be awed by what the enslaved poor can build.

Apparently, there are big similarities between the TV Sopranos and a real New Jersey small potatoes crime family. Here's part one of The Real Sopranos. It's easy to follow on the right panel for the rest of the parts. You can watch old episodes of The Sorpranos in full here.
I've burned a lot of time watching them myself.

Teen Mum is about....well, teen mums.
I think that if there was less support for teen mums, there would be fewer of them. Sorry. But I don't think that all this support, and understanding is actually "helping".

Here is a documentary on inmates and life in prison.
GAH!
It scared me straight....if for nothing else other than having to listen to the bravado, and tough talking. I know they're not kidding...but there are some serious mental issues cooking in these peoples' brains.

That's all.