Thursday, June 22, 2006

Niagara Falls: Mecca
of
The Mediterranean & South Slavs


Yesterday I was at a meeting, and two of the people there were Greek.

They were talking about family members coming over from "back home" over the summer and both announced that there were special trips planned for Niagara Falls.

When I was a little girl, every time someone came to visit...whether it was from the Former YU, or from the states...we'd all pile into the car and drive to "Nee-ah-gaaara False".
We'd all have pictures taken at the iron railing, right in front of the Horseshoe Falls, and then lunch at the Skyline was an absolute MUST.

I thought that it might be strictly a Yugo thing, but it appears to be an all around Balkan/Med thing.
It's such a thing, that it's even snuck into old cheezy movies from the Former YU, like this one to your right. Always the Horseshoe Falls, because let's face it...it's prettier.

Don't give me that...
"Oh, it's because it's one of the Wonders of the World"
crap.

If that is the case, why do I still feel the pull of "Nee-a-gaara" every so often?
There are times when I get the "Let's drive to the Falls" bug.

Lucky thing The Mister likes road trips.
Even when we drive to Buffalo, I always ask The Mister to at least drive past the Falls.

Shucks.
We even got married there.