Monday, June 26, 2006


WahWahWah...


Hainsworth.com linked to this article from The Discovery Channel on immaturity of todays adults.
It appears that we're not evolving, but regressing.

"When formal education continues into the early twenties," he continued, "it probably, to an extent, counteracts the attainment of psychological maturity, which would otherwise occur at about this age.”
Especially when you combine this with staying home with your parents while you complete your education. I'm also noting the phenomenon of staying home until you save up to buy your own home or just staying until you inherit your parents home.
The lack of struggle, and challenge of getting things for yourself, and having to cope with difficulty I believe has softened people.
Tolerance levels are not as high as they are with older individuals, and flexibility is expected by many individuals without the ability to understand that flexibility doesn't just mean "give me what I want and need"...it also means, "I may have to put myself out every once in a while to accommodate someone else".
Just like the concept of "fair" is relative, so is the concept of "flexibility".

I'm noticing a lack of ability to "just shut up and do your job"...and a lot of "OMG! I'm having such a hard time with blahblah blah blehblah...you HAVE to consider ME over what I'm paid to do".
Now, I'm not saying that employees shouldn't be considered...but as a Boss, I'm not your mom either.

In the past, I've had parents of grown ups (people in their 20's) call me to complain about the policies and requirements of their kids jobs.

It's no wonder that:

"“immature” people tend to thrive and succeed, and have set the tone not only for contemporary life, but also for the future, when it is possible our genes may even change as a result of the psychological shift.

The faults of youth are retained along with the virtues, he believes. These include short attention span, sensation and novelty-seeking, short cycles of arbitrary fashion and a sense of cultural shallowness."


Yup, combined with a standard of living that allows us the luxury.