Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The rights of the few over the preferences of the many...

"Reports say that the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games will be held during Ramadan, the most holy month in the Islamic calendar. In 2012 Ramadan will take place from July 21 to August 20 and the 2012 Games run from July 27 to August 12. It’s anticipated 3,000 Muslim competitors would be affected".

I seem to remember a few years when some of the biggest competitors didn't compete for political reasons.
If you're a devout Muslim, wouldn't you just not compete?
Didn't Sandy Koufax sit out the first game of the World Series in 1965 because it was Yom Kippur?
(I can't believe I just posted obscure information about sports...)

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the tail wagging the dog thinking.
In my perfect world, majority rules.

Should a 1/4 of the competitors dictate when the event is held?
Where would it stop?
Would there be any time of year when there isn't some special consideration that needed to be addressed, and rescheduled when you're talking about a global event?

Checking the Multicultural Calendar, I noticed that there are 27 holidays from various cultures and religions that fall between July 27th and August 12th.

I think we should just cancel The Olympics altogether.
It's only fair.