Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sunrise, Sunset



Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favourite movies.
I must admit that many Jewish traditions ring familiar to me.
The music, the general sentimental-ness.
This movie always, always is a tearjearker for me.
Tevye's village could be my Majka's village.
Which is probably why my mother cried all the way through whenever we watched it...which was whenever it was on.

While re-watching this segment, "Sunrise, Sunset" I noticed that the bride was holding a bunch of rosemary springs. This is traditional at Serbian weddings.


"The herb rosemary is the symbol of remembrance and fidelity and has been used for centuries in weddings. During the middle ages all elegant weddings used rosemary as a favor for the wedding guests. Sprigs were dipped in gold, tied with a ribbon and presented to guests. It symbolized that although the bride and groom were leaving their friends and family to start a new life, they would never forget their loved ones".


It makes sense.
Rosemary, not just for Thanksgiving stuffing.