Saturday, March 22, 2008

First Love Plans

Thomas(16) and Deborah (15) are in love.
They met online three years ago.

Thomas says:

"I am sure we will stay together for a long time. We’ve already been talking about having a kid. That would be nice."

Remember when you were young enough to view having a kid like buying an ipod?

Reading this made me think of an article I read called Baby Makes Two about the number of people choosing to have children out of wedlock.

"A generation and more ago, that's who most unwed mothers were. But according to the most recent statistics from the Centers for Disease Control, teenagers account for only 23 percent of current out-of-wedlock births. That means the vast majority of unwed mothers are old enough to know what they're doing: Unwed births are surging among women ages 25 to 29."

I realize that I'm getting old enough to be considered "not moving with the times", but I see this as a continuance of refusing to commit to life and responsibilities.
The demand to have the right to walk away from big deal, life decisions with no trouble or consequences.

Personally, I think children deserve more.
They deserve to have that security.
They pay in the long run.

Oh, well...I suppose I should just STFU and applaud 15 year olds who want to have kids and celebrate the decline of the stodgy nuclear family....because you can see how much better things are now....