Monday, March 10, 2008

The Interruption
of Anything Profound


Back in the day, I read "Mama" by Terry McMillan and I thought she would be the next Toni Morrison, or Paule Marshall...and then came Waiting to Exhale...and I forgave her.

The whingy, weak women who claimed that they were independent, but were really just jonesing for a man throughout the whole story frustrated me and made me angry.

I know sooo many women who love Terry McMillan...they think she's great.
I can't read her.

I was given "The Interruption of Everything"...and again I tried.
Her characters are so shallow, so transparent...her stories so cliche...her women so...so...suburban and spoiled with non-issues made into issues.
The important topics that she touches on, are left dead at the side of the road, while her characters wax on and on about themselves, and their "dreams" and "untapped selves" and the lack of men in their lives, or the dissatisfaction with the ones in their lives.
She's all the bitch without the wit of an evening out with the girls.

Bleh.
She's like a black Danielle Steele...and I guess that fills a genre void or something.