Friday, April 06, 2007

Helicopter Parents

I didn't know that there was actually a term for parents who do everything for their children.
I have complained about these parents often on my blog, and how they produce spoiled, weak adults who feel entitled to everything, and are incapable of functioning on their own.

These are the people who stay home until they inherit their parents homes, or in extreme cases steal them right out from under them like this spoiled little prick did.

In this article:

"Roger Tripp, a licensed professional counselor, said research on parenting types explains the issues surrounding what has become known as overindulgent parenting.

Tripp said children of "authoritative" parents - strong parents who allow children some bargaining power - are the most happy.

People whose parents are "laissez-faire," giving their children whatever they want, are the most unhappy, he said. They have low self-esteem and feel unworthy.

"What they said was, 'The message we got was we were incapable of doing it ourselves,'" Tripp said. "To me, that is the most enlightening story about spoiling our kids and why you shouldn't do it.""


I remember my mother once telling me that if she let me do everything I wanted to, it would mean that she didn't care about me.

I've had parents apply for jobs for their children.
I won't hire them.
If you send your mother in with your application, it tells me that you're lazy and irresponsible, and overindulged.
These are the same parents who do their kids homework, sell their fundraising chocolates or magazines at the office so that their kids don't have to do it.
These are the parents who run to school from their office at lunchtime with McDonalds or BK.
These are the parents who run to school and shout at Teachers and Principals on the words of their children, no matter how outrageous the story.

I have more than once had the parents of a volunteer or part-timer in their twenties call to argue some organizational policy that they didn't agree with.
They don't last long.
They get fed up with the demands and rules of the job, and it's never their fault.
They get upset when they get fired for not showing up to work a couple of times, or being consistently late, or because they phone in sick more often than they come to work.

What's my problem?
Don't I understand that they're having a hard time with (fill in the blank with petty personal issues)?
One part-timer was actually shocked when I fired her for not showing up for her shift the second time. That was after she got a warning after the first time that she would be fired if she did it again.

I guess as the employer, I'm seen as kind of like mom...and mom forgives her when she doesn't do what she's supposed to do. I guess it comes as a big shock when I have higher expectations, and lower tolerance than mom does.

It sucks.

This article says:

Joey Green says, in The Road to Success is Paved with Failure:

“…Failure builds character, helps you hone your skills, tests your determination, fortifies you with eight essential vitamins, and gives you the inner strength and courage to go back out there and fall flat on your face all over again… Just remember, everyone falls down. You’re not a failure until you don’t get back up.”


Amen.