Monday, October 23, 2006

I have a bittersweet relationship with Robin Williams.
I'm not a big fan of his comedy, but I love him as a dramatic actor.
I guess he kind of solidifies my belief that comedians are some of the most introspective people alive, and perhaps mostly not all that happy.

I loved him in The Fisher King.
I managed to find a clip of Robin and Amanda Plummer from that movie.
The World According to Garp, and especially in Moscow on the Hudson.
The scene where he is drunk, and homesick, and talks about Russians and their love affair with misery...because it's the only thing that is truly theirs, because no one else wants it.
What can I tell you?
I'm a Slav.

I loved him in Awakenings, and Patch Adams...and Mrs Doubtfire.
He was especially creepy in One Hour Photo...and of course his role in Good Will Hunting (which was partially filmed in my old High School)

His portrayal of gentle and ethical characters are very touching to me. He is superb at demonstrating sympathetic and caring men. The love of which, I must confess is a weakness of mine.

And while I'm not a big fan of his frenetic, and fragmented comedy.


I am a big fan of his wretched soul.