Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ladies with an attitude, fellas who were in the mood...

I hate when society blames men for single motherhood.

I'm not talking about how your marriage didn't work out and now you're a single mom.
I'm talking about hooking up with someone, getting pregnant when you know the relationship is going nowhere, and having the child anyway.

Having to have the child may have held water 30 years ago, but these days when there are 100 different methods of birth control, the morning after pill and abortion...the only women who are having children are those who willingly choose to do so.

I know that there's the whole "right to life" and "religious convictions" thing going on, but I fail to comprehend how one religious conviction cancels out another...for example, having the child is more important than obstaining from sex before marriage...which would also be a "conviction" that was in place to avoid the latter, crucial conviction, no?

I've seen many a woman use pregnancy and motherhood as an excuse to not move forward with their own educational, financial independance and development.

What prompted this post is friend of mine who sent me an article by a woman who was essentially blaming a certain culture of men for single motherhood in her community.
(If you want the link to the article, e-mail me. I didn't link to it because my post isn't about her article per se.)
I realize that marriage isn't for everyone...and I know I've done a post on this topic before...but I think that often women will sabotage their own development by having children, and then use the children as an excuse for not being able to move forward with their own lives.
Strong and independant women will move forward with or without children.

Weak women will allow themselves to be pulled down by circumstances and bad life choices driven by their own low self-worth and poor judgement.

If you're not happy with how you're living...I don't understand how bringing an innocent child into the mix is going to make things easier for you.

Someone please explain to me how men are to blame for single parenthood?