Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Oreo Cookie, or just a person?

I'm not up on American politics, but you really can't seem to get away from the coverage right now.
I just had a quick comment on something that I found interesting.

Republican Lt.Governor for Maryland, Michael Steele was profiled on the CBC with a number of other controversial candidates.

Black and Republican?
That's something that he'll have to overcome, if I'm to understand correctly how the black population in the States tends to vote.

I've heard that while on the campaign trail, Michael Steele has had to endure people throwing Oreo cookies at him.


No.
Really.

Grown. Adult. Black people.
Throwing Oreo cookies at a black candidate for the U.S. Senate.

I'm wondering when black culture is going to accept the fact that many of their own are moving up? That being intelligent, well spoken, and ambitious doesn't make a black person white.
It makes them ambitious, and courageous.

During the CBC report, the discussion was around "Do you think Michael Steele will have trouble getting elected..*pause*...as a Republican?"....LOL, I laughed.
Because she couldn't have said it more clearly...the "black" was missing from the front of the word "Republican".

Why can't a black person be Republican?
I don't understand.

I also don't understand why intelligence, being articulate, and being ambitious is perceived as being "white" for many black people.

Maybe my Mother in Law is right.
She used to say that ....*pause*....people were like crabs in a barrel. They pull each other down.

But, don't listen to me.
I'm just a white chick.