Friday, February 23, 2007

What is Beauty?

I've been hedging back and forth on Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty.
While I'm cynical enough to believe that Dove is no different than any other large company working to get into Boomer women's pocketbooks, and look all anti-establishment and sincere about it...I cannot be convinced that the women in this ad are anything but beautiful.

When when I was younger, I found wrinkles and lines on a woman unattractive...now when I look at an older person, there is a sweetness to be found in the lines formed by years of laughter, or tears.

Mama used to say that the face you have at 40, is the face you deserve...and I think that she's right. There are women in their 30's who look hard and used, and women in their 50's who look girlish and dulcet. Hard living will use you, but only if you let it.

It's true that beauty...real beauty, shines from within.

A woman like Anne Chambers, when you stand close to her glows with something more than just "attractive for an older woman" looks. 
Maybe I feel this way now because I'm not in my 20's anymore...or even in my 30's for that matter.
Or maybe it's because I've learned to really look at people. 

So, in the end..it doesn't really matter if Lever Bros. Corp. is taking another "angle" or "targeting a demographic"...it's just nice to see some real people in advertising for a change.